While not all electrical fires are a result of improper electrical installation, it is within the realm of possibility for a DIY project to result in a fire. It is also a possibility to experience a fire because of not reaching out for upgrades and repairs when they are needed. There are many ways you can avoid a fire by having an electrician take care of the electrical installation instead. Here are some more tips for avoiding electrical issues that could potentially result in a fire:
- Limit use of extension cords- If you are using extension cords other than for temporary situations, you will be in a better position to avoid a fire if you have the appropriate type of outlet installed where you need it. Never run extension cords under area rugs or leave them out where they will be walked on.
- Limit use of power strips- You should consider electrical installation to install more outlets if you are reliant on power strips due to not having enough outlets. This is a common problem these days because of converting bedrooms to home offices and having more electronics in bedrooms than they were initially designed to accommodate. Overloading an outlet is one of the most common causes of electrical fires.
- Be careful with old fixtures- It may be nostalgic to find a vintage lighting fixture and begin using it at your home, but you should first have it checked out by an electrician to be sure the wiring is up to code and safe to use.
- Do not remove grounding plugs- It is never a good idea to cut off the grounding plug when you have an appliance that has one because your outlets are just two-prong. The better course of action is an electrical installation to upgrade your outlets.
At Mister Sparky by Wise Electric Control Inc., we want to help you have a safe home by taking care of whatever electrical installations you need. In addition to resolving lighting and outlet situations, we can also install ceiling fans, electrical panels, and more, as well as handle various repairs to give you peace of mind that your home is a safe place for your family.