We often take things for granted that we become used to or that seem commonplace. Smoke detectors are a great example of this. You may not even be able to recollect where smoke detectors are located in your home, but those whose lives have been saved because of these devices are not so quick to forget. Since your life can depend on these little gadgets, it’s important that you take care of them properly.
Here are a few basic keys to keeping your home safe with smoke detectors:
- Check your detector every month by pushing the ‘test’ button.
- If the detector doesn’t respond correctly, it may need to have new batteries put in. It is best to change the batteries each year, even if the alarm isn’t registering needing a battery replacement.
- Old detectors may need to be entirely replaced, especially if they are more than a decade old. You don’t want to have a faulty smoke alarm that is too old. A new smoke detector is a very minor investment for the role it can play in protecting you, your loved ones, and your home.
- Have your home evaluated to make sure you have smoke detectors in all of the recommended locations.
- Hire a professional to install smoke detectors in your home to ensure that they are put in correctly.
Although it is easy to forget about your smoke detectors, you need to make sure you are regularly caring for them, replacing them, testing them, etc. Use these guidelines to adequately protect your family and your home, and please contact us at Mister Sparky by Wise Electric Control Inc. if you would like assistance with installing a smoke alarm system in your home.