Electrical code is constantly being updated because newer and safer materials are continually being made available. As new products are made, the regulations change because these materials are better for installing in homes. Although your home may not be perfectly up to date, it’s important that you do consider rewiring for your home if you experience any of these warning signs:
- Regular shortages occur when turning on a light or using an appliance.
- If your home is older and the wiring has never been changed, rewiring may be a good idea.
- Outlets are warm to the touch or cords get hot after they’ve been plugged in for a while.
- A particularly obvious sign that you need rewiring is if you see sparks when plugging in or unplugging appliances.
- Another warning sign is if you have several appliances break sooner than they should. This may mean the electrical current supplying them with energy is not being controlled adequately.
- Also, if you have an electrician come and recommend rewiring, it is probably a good indication that it’s time.
Knowing what you should be looking out for will help you to keep your home safe. Rewiring is a project that would take a significant investment and amount of time to have completed. However, if you notice any of these warning signs, it’s not really a question of if you should have your home rewired, it’s a matter of when you’re going to make that a priority. Let us know if you have any questions about the rewiring process and we’ll be happy to help you.